Pages

Wednesday, August 22

{Parties & Savory Vegetable Flatbreads}


























Parties are sweet.  I love mingling.  Meeting and reuniting with friends is refreshing to my soul.  Last night we gathered with friends for a barbecue.  We were asked to bring a side dish.  I love bringing food to events.  It gives me a chance to whip together new dishes.  I opened my fridge that afternoon and peered in at the possibilities.  It's full of fresh produce right now.  Our little biweekly CSA box is keeping us well stocked. Pretty quickly, I decided to use as much of the produce as I could. I was up to my ears in eggplant, peppers, cucumbers and more.  Flipping on the stove, I warmed coconut oil in a pan and pulled out my good ole food processor.  Soon all my veggies were sautéing or pureeing as I hummed about the kitchen. A little bit of this and that and before I knew it I had two tasty spreads to work with.  All I needed was something to spread them on!  One of my favrite food writers, Caitlin from Roost, had a flatbread I'd been wanting to try.  I quickly browsed through her little site and whipped up her delicious recipe. An easy treat for anyone!

The two flat breads were a hit at the party. My sweet friends requested the recipe and my husband is already asking for a repeat, so this one's going on the books. I hope you can give it a try for your next gathering! Enjoy!

{Red Pepper Kale Spread}
1/2 cup Pine Nuts
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 cups Red and Yellow Peppers, roughly sliced and sautéed in Coconut Oil
Dash of Garlic Powder
Sea Salt to taste
Fresh Pepper to taste

Puree in a food processor or blender and refrigerate until ready to use.

{Sweet Eggplant Beet Spread}

3 cups Eggplant, chopped and sautéed in Coconut Oil
1 medium Sweet Onion, chopped and sautéed in Coconut Oil
4 Red Beets, cooked and peeled
1 1/2 tsp fresh Lemon Juice
 *add more if needed
Sea Salt to taste
Fresh Pepper to taste

Puree in a food processor or blender and refrigerate until ready to use.








{Roost's Flatbread} 
*with a few alterations
3 cups Almond Flour
1 tbsp Oregano, chopped
1 tbsp Sage, chopped
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 Eggs

Extra Topping:
Veggies, sautéed or Beets, cooked and sliced
Shredded Goat's Cheese
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the dry ingredients, then add the wet. I like to knead with my hands, but it's up to you.  Roll the dough into a ball and place between parchment paper.  Roll into the shape and thickness you desire. I created two breads out of this dough. Place them on a sheet with a pastry mat or oil your cookie sheet.  Lightly brush the dough with olive oil and place into your oven for 10-14 minutes. Remove once it begins to brown around the edges.  Let it cool and then lather it with the spread.  Add additional veggies on top if you wish and sprinkle the grated Goat cheese for a delicious finish. Place back in the oven for 3-4 minutes to melt the cheese.  Once it's ready, pull it out and let it 

3 comments:

Cindy DG said...

What a super cool idea! :) My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-fridays-recipe-party-2/
Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the "glutenfree bloggers" tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

Cindy DG said...

Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) YAY! Thanks for helping us build a wonderful Gluten Free Community! Its great to connect! See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

Pat @ Elegantly, Gluten-Free said...

Your flatbread and toppings look so good -- I'm sure they'll be delicious!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails